The Henry David Thoreau Scholarship is being offered by the Henry David Thoreau Foundation to Massachusetts high school graduates who have the ability to lead in the field of the environment and who want to major in multidisciplinary environmental studies in college.
Henry David Thoreau Scholarship 2023/2024 Apply Now
This program seeks out and assists exceptional young leaders who are dedicated to preserving future generations’ access to a healthy environment.
Each of the eight to ten winners will be given a four-year scholarship worth up to $20,000 for their efforts.
Action-instigating factors include the Henry David Thoreau Foundation.
By offering grants and scholarships to promote, support, and sustain the work of young environmental leaders, they make an investment in the future of our world.
Visit www.thoreauscholar.org to find out more about the Henry David Thoreau Foundation and the Thoreau Scholarship.
Guidance counselors and science teachers at all high schools in Massachusetts will get mail including information about the scholarships and instructions for applying.
In October 2024, a web form will be accessible.
You can also check out Carrington Philbert Scholarship 2023/2024
About Henry David Thoreau Scholarship
Young leaders are encouraged by the scholarship to take action in environmental protection.
The Henry David Thoreau Foundation, which offers chances to support, assist, and maintain the work of young environmental leaders, is behind this effort.
Henry David Thoreau Scholarship honors these people each year in an effort to inspire them to pursue environmental studies in college and beyond.
Since its inception in 1999, the scholarship has given more than $7 million to assist Massachusetts high school graduates in their environmental efforts.
In addition to being Massachusetts citizens, applicants should have out.
Each Henry David Thoreau Scholar receives a four-year grant worth up to $20,000 USD standing academic achievement and a commitment to the environment.
They should also make plans to start college the year the scholarship is given.
The scholars are additionally qualified for an environmental internship stipend. The environment can be studied as a major or minor at any approved college or university in the United States for Thoreau Scholars.
How to ace the Henry David Thoreau Scholarshp
1. Quantify your success
You can communicate your accomplishments more effectively if you quantify them. Provide particular numbers and figures related to the successes of your work to put a number on your accomplishments.
As an illustration, “Planted 200 tree seedlings in XYZ location.”
2. Employ the CAR guidance.
CAR means Context, Action, and Result. Ensure that the context of your prior environmental work engagements, your responsibilities, and your impact are highlighted in your résumé.
3. Pick a dedicated referee.
Choose references who are passionate about suggesting you for the scholarship, are well-aware of your strengths, support your goals, and can attest to your moral character.
4. Read the materials for scholarship applications.
You can utilize the information on the scholarship page to help you with your application. You should refer to these documents for advice on how to request reference letters and write a resume.
How the Henry David Thoreau Scholarship is Judged
The following factors will be taken into consideration while evaluating your application: your dedication to the environment, your academic prowess, where you resided during your senior year of high school, and a letter of recommendation from a referee.
As a result, it is imperative that applicants carefully read, comprehend, and adhere to all submission criteria.
Why We Love the Henry David Thoreau Scholarship
1. Encouraging environmental leadership
The initiative develops student leadership and responsibility by frequently disseminating information on environmental preservation-related resources, fellowships, internships, and other scholarship possibilities via their Facebook and LinkedIn groups.
2. Policy against discrimination
No one is discriminated against in receiving the scholarship because of their race, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, or age.
3. A vibrant alumni network
The extensive network of former academics and current scholars who study and work all around the world is available to Thoreau academics. The network provides a wealth of chances for both professional and personal development.
5 Facts About Henry David Thoreau Scholarship
1. There are alumni projects at Thoreau Scholar
Alumni from academic institutions have created businesses and organizations like Oxbow, which serves clients like WildAmerica and the Center for Food Safety, as well as satellite imagery start-up CrowdAI and nonprofit energy enterprises like Equitable Origin.
2. The scholarship’s rules could change.
Any policy pertaining to the program may be revised or altered at any time by the Board of Trustees of the Henry David Thoreau Scholarship Fund.
3. Applicants receiving internship stipends may be scholars.
Thoreau, Henry David If a scholar secures an internship in any environmental field, they may apply to the selection committee for an internship stipend.
4. There are numerous chances for internships.
The majority of Thoreau Scholars complete one or more internships, which aids in their understanding of and response to environmental issues from a number of perspectives, including economic, historical, and sociopolitical ones.
5. Instructions for undergraduate coursework
A minimum of 25% of applicants’ undergraduate coursework must be in an environment-related subject if they plan to pursue an interdisciplinary environmental studies program.
- The applicant must be a Massachusetts resident and a senior in a Massachusetts high school.
- Considering enrolling in college during the year the Thoreau Scholarship is given
- Strong academic credentials and a dedication to the environmental field should be shown.
How to Use
Before applying for the scholarship, candidates must sign in or register. You can access it via https://www.grantinterface.com/Common/LogOn.aspx?eqs=
The candidate can mail any additional materials to the foundation at 265 Medford Street, Suite 102, Somerville, MA 02143 if they so request.
- If you are chosen as a Thoreau Scholar, you must: Enroll in a college or university of your choice that is accredited.
- Carry 25% of your undergraduate coursework—in any major or minor—in topics linked to the environment.
- Send in a yearly report detailing your environmental work, including any academic courses you have taken.
- Maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and provide an official copy of your transcript at the conclusion of each semester.
- Assistance and Prize The Henry David Thoreau Foundation will provide the winning candidate $20,000 as compensation.
Application Cutoff Date
- The selection committee’s decision will be made public on April 30, 2017, after the application deadline on February 1, 2017.
- Visit this website for more details
- Contact information: You may reach Jane at Thoreau Scholar by email.